Japanese Knife Making on a Ranch in Hachioji, West Tokyo
- Learn the principles and techniques of craftsmanship
- Make your own Japanese knife from start to finish
- Visit the rural co-working space Yugimura Farm
- Lunch on organic produce straight from the farm
- Take home raw honey from the farm as an additional souvenir
Knife Making Ranch Experience
Included: Workshop, Knife to take home, Organic bento lunch, Raw honey souvenir
Not Included: Transportation
What's included, what's not
Know Before You Book
- Children aged 17 or younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian and must have a consent form signed in order to participate.
- This activity requires care at all times for your own safety; you will need to sign a disclaimer before starting.
What you can expect
Japanese knife making—one of the hottest trending activities for craftsy travelers! Head out to Hachioji and make your own knife from start to finish, on a full-day workshop held at a working ranch/co-working space in easy reach of downtown Tokyo.
Making Japanese knives by hand, for a precious, personalized souvenir has become something of a sleeper hit among craftsy travelers in Japan.
Most of these experiences take place in remote rural areas, but from summer 2019, Yugimura Farm in collaboration with Voyagin offer knife-making in Tokyo with an optional English interpreter.
Hachioji is a suburban area (technically a small city in its own right) just west of central Tokyo that can be reached by direct train from Shinjuku. A direct train on the Keio Line gets you out of the urban jungle to where the pace of life is little slower, and you can indulge in a full day of crafting in more natural surroundings.
Your host at the farm Naramoto Yoji will teach you everything you need to craft your own knife from start to finish, in this full-day workshop in Hachioji!